martes, 26 de abril de 2011
When in Belgium, eat waffles, chocolate, fries (with mayo), and drink the world's best beer--hands down. Also, only in Belgium is a naked baby urinating one of the largest tourist attractions. Lastly, allow Nigel Farage to explain the state of Belgian politics.
- Belgium's national icon (no joke):
Belgian Baby Elvis
- More architecture. Why do they like naked babies so much?
- Delirium Cafe, pictured below, is famous for its variety of 2,000+ beers in stock.
- Europe's capital. Pictured below is the EU Parliament.
martes, 29 de marzo de 2011
- Women extracting oil from argan, a crop native to southern Morocco that is a major source of fuel, timber, and oil for Berber people (the indigenous people of Northern Africa):
- One of the craziest things about this place is that you feel like you're in the desert then you look up and see snow-capped mountains in the distance:
I find it ironic that the best weekend of my time overseas was in a Muslim country with no alcohol. For an American in Spain, Morocco was unreal--It's no longer Western culture. Stoplights occasionally seem optional and there's really no order to the way automobiles, horse-drawn carriages, bikers, and pedestrians function in the streets. There is also no such thing as a fixed price for street vendors. Bartering is the norm, which is nice if you have a way with words, but God forbid you make eye contact with a vendor and don't intend on buying anything because you won't have an easy time walking away. And the Moroccan sun is a different animal. I thought after one day in Djemaa el Fna, Marrakech's main square and market place, I had skin cancer. The natives, though, have an unbelievable ability to withstand the heat--Pants and jackets are customary in 70°F weather. I could have gone nuts with my camera, but I guess the locals don't like pictures being taken of them. I'm not exactly sure why, but from what I could gather, they feel that tourists taking photos exploit them and their culture.
- It's illegal to take pictures of Moroccan police officers:
- From Djemaa el Fna:
- I rode this bad boy:
- Bahia Palace (a near-replica of Alhambra in Granada):
- From the Majorelle Garden:
jueves, 10 de marzo de 2011
Announcement: I will now begin releasing weekly editions of a new series entitled European PDA. Lovin' is everywhere baby and I can't help but recognize what is so uniquely European.
- Chico & Rita: A nice, G-rated family experience. Coming to theatres near you soon.
- Carnival is Europe's equivalent to Mardi Gras in the States, except it lasts for a week (and then culminates on Mardi Gras). Most cities in Spain host their own Carnival festivities and Sitges' is recognized nationally as one of the best.
- Everything is acceptable at Carnival.