miércoles, 2 de marzo de 2011

San Sebastian, País Vasco, España 26.02.2011--27.02.2011

  • I was on the fence about coming here until my señora told me that San Sebastian is the most beautiful city in all of Spain.  I think she's right...




Playa de la Concha



  • Michael Phelps.  I admire these Basque people, a civilization abundant with men who don speedos and brave the ocean water in 40 °F weather...


  • ...I was also told that Basque hombres are generally good singers.  This thought materialized when I stumbled upon a 20-member male choir drinking beer and singing hymns in the street in Old Town, San Sebastian.  The Basque people, their architecture, their language (Euskara) are unique to the rest of Spain and it´s no wonder they want independence.


  • You haven't visited San Sebastian until you've eaten pintxos (pinchos), the Basque equivalent to Spanish tapas.  They are absolutely divine.  Words do not do them justice.  Below: Red pepper stuffed with crab meat and topped with cheese.


  • The secret ingredient to San Sebastian pintxas is their seafood.  Enclosed by mountains, the city faces the Bay of Biscay, and naturally fishing is a large industry, which based on my encounters with food, heeds great results.  San Sebastian also has a nice aquarium.  There I learned that male seahorses give birth to their young.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario